Thursday, December 13, 2012

Christmas Comes

Christmas... It's not a date on the calendar. It's a state of mind.




Well, I have been waiting for Christmas to come. This is not to say that I have been waiting for December 25th to come, or for some particular event, that I call Christmas. It is not tied to a time or a place. It just happens, when it happens, where it happens.

It came this year in Church, as I listened to a beautiful high, pure voice singing “Silent Night”. The world around me dimmed, I felt the rush of angels’ wings, and it came. It always happens like that for me. I hustle about, like everyone else at this season, decorating and shopping, squeezing in one more social engagement before the holiday deadline. It seems so urgent that we get it all done. But at a quiet moment, on a mall bench, or with family dining, or watching a Church play, it happens! I feel his presence and I remember that he loves me, even me! I remember that he came down from Heaven, as a little baby. He really did! I remember the joy that his coming brings to the world. It overwhelms me, my heart weeps and I worship him.

 It always surprises me. It’s like it’s happening for the first time. It shouldn’t, you know. Why don’t we remember every day? God is there always, waiting. It’s our own distraction that keeps Christmas from coming every day. Our business, our routines... work, play, fussing over every little thing, these are the problem. We just need to stop and listen, turn off the television and the radio, hush the children, close our eyes, and listen... for his coming. The angels are all around us, hear them, smell them, feel their wings on our faces. Come see the baby. Lay your treasure before him and worship him.


“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth on him, shall not perish, but have everlasting life.” (John 3:16)

 

MJS  12/24/01

No comments:

Post a Comment