Tuesday, December 11, 2012

As A Child

I tend to get a little morose at Christmas time. I think maybe that's because I tend to look backwards this time of year, not only reflecting on the pasing year, with it's lost opportunities, but also looking all the way back to childhood and to all of the "use-to-be's and might-have-beens". I also miss those that I have lost. I'm guessing that it's the same for you.

Here's a poem that I wrote during one of those times. Jesus said, "Unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven" (Matt. 18:3, NIV). We need to become like little children... humble, innocent, trusting, not wise but willing to learn, hopeful, believing, expecting to be provided for, dependent on grace. We need child-like wonder. Child-like sounds alot like spiritual maturity, another of God's ironies. So far this Christmas I've only managed to be disrespectful, ungrateful and pouty. Help me Lord! Help me to be child-like... in a good way.



AS A CHILD


Christmas is coming.

It happens every year…

Festivals, and Santa Claus,

And holiday mirth and cheer.

We string the lights, and hang the holly,

Trim the tree, and fill our nights,

With parties and pageants, and yuletide folly.

                       
Christmas is coming.

It happens every year.

It comes and goes,

And no one knows,

The Holy Child is here.

 
So every year we laugh a little,

And every year we cry.

Every year we spend a lot,

And every year we sigh,

And think of days almost forgotten,

Of Christmas long ago,

Of child like wonder,

O’ Holy Night!

And angels bending low.

 

 

                                                            MJS

                                                            12\96

                                                           

No comments:

Post a Comment